Close Games Keep Coming in League Play
Down to the wire match ups are becoming expected in conference play
with 70 percent of conference games coming down to 10 points or less.
* Eight teams in the Big 12 have winning percentages of .625 or
higher – tied for the highest total of any conference in the nation.
* A total of 42 of 60 (70 percent) league games so far have been
decided by 10 points or less – including 24 of the last 35 matchups.
The average margin of victory in all conference games this season is
* The Big 12 is the only conference with every team among the top
82 of the ESPN BPI, with eight in the top 46. Seven league squads rank
among the top 55 of the latest RPI.
* Big 12 men’s basketball has the best cumulative strength of
schedule of any conference in the nation for 2016-17.
* Every team in the Big 12 has been ranked or received votes in
the top 25 polls this season.
* The Big 12 has posted a .575 win percentage versus the ACC, Big
East, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC – the eighth straight year that it has
been .500 or better against the nation’s top conferences.
* For the fourth time in four years, the Big 12/SEC Challenge
trophy will remain with the Big 12 as the leagues split the 10
contests this season. Big 12 teams are 25-15 (.625) in the event since
* Big 12 men’s basketball teams have a 102-26 non-conference
record during 2016-17. Seventeen losses were by single digits,
including four in overtime.
* Big 12 teams boasts a .797 non-conference winning percentage
this season – the best of any league in the nation.
* The 26 combined non-league losses by the Big 12 are the fewest
of any conference in America. The next-closest league has 28 (Big
* The Big 12 has been ranked among the top three conferences in
the RPI so far this year. Entering 2016-17, it has been No. 1 in four
of the last seven seasons, including three in a row.
* Five head coaches in the Big 12 have led teams to the Final
Four, while every head coach has guided a team to the NCAA Tournament
and has at least 100 career victories during their respective careers.
* Seven coaches have career win percentages of .700 or better and
the group of all 10 coaches boasts more than 3,600 career victories.