League Holds Strong Heading Into Week Six
Big 12 baseball rolls into week six with one week of conference
play completed. Texas Tech and West Virginia captured road series wins
while TCU won its first home conference series of the season. Here are
the notes for week six:
* After weekend one of conference play, Texas Tech leads with
three wins (1.000). The Red Raiders are now 4-1 on the road after a
sweep of Texas.
* The league holds a 119-46 record (.721) against other
conferences after five weeks of competition.
* In week two of league play: K-State visits Texas, OSU hits the
road vs. TCU, and OU heads to Baylor. This is the second-straight week
that the UT, TCU and Baylot will host a conference series.
* The league holds a 32-15 (.681) record over Power 5 Conference
teams, having 12 wins over Pac-12 opponents and 10 wins against the
* Offensively, Oklahoma leads the way with a .309 batting average
and tops the pitching statistics with a 2.62 ERA. WVU’s Cole Austin
leads the league with a .385 batting ave. and .435 on-base percentage.
* Oklahoma State’s Garrett Benge recorded his second Big 12 Player
of the Week honor of the season while TCU’s Jared Janczak and OSU’s
Jonathan Heasley were named the Pitcher and Newcomer of the Week,
* Seven of the league’s teams are receiving votes in at least one
poll nationally, including six in the NCBWA and USA Today Coaches
Poll. TCU leads with three No. 3 rankings.
* OSU’s Garrett Benge and TCU’s Jared Janczak were named one of 10
Collegiate Baseball National Players of the Week on Monday. The league
has a total of four recipients this season and has been honored for
three straight weeks.