Big 12 Baseball Report – Week 9
Week Nine Brings Key Matchups to the Diamond
While Oklahoma faces Michigan on the road, the remaining eight
teams battle it out in conference play. Here are the league notes for
– In week five of conference action: Texas heads to Baylor, TCU
visits West Virginia, Oklahoma State squares off against Kansas, and
Texas Tech travels to Kansas State.
– In week four of league play: Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, West
Virginia and Texas secured 2-1 series wins.
– Through Sunday’s games, the league has five teams in the RPI top
20. That is tied for the most along with the ACC and SEC. The RPI is
4. Texas Tech
17. West Virginia
43. Oklahoma State
115. Kansas State
– The league holds a 34-19 (.642) record over Power 5 Conference
teams, having 13 wins over Pac-12 opponents and 11 wins against the
– Offensively, Texas Tech leads the way with a .300 batting average
while Oklahoma tops the pitching statistics with a 2.78 ERA. TTU’s
Grant Little leads the league with a .369 batting average and .460
– Texas Tech’s Orlando Garcia recorded Big 12 Player of the Week
honors after he helped the Red Raiders earn a series win over Baylor.
West Virginia’s Michael Grove was named Pitcher of the Week for his
third career allocate while Kansas State’s Will Brennan earned
Newcomer of the Week. Grove was also recognized as the NCBWA National
Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday.
– TTU’s Garcia and WVU’s Grove also earned Collegiate Baseball
National Player of the Week honors for their performances. This is the
fifth and sixth Big 12 player honors of the season from Collegiate
– Seven of the league’s teams are receiving votes in at least one
poll nationally, including seven in the NCBWA poll. TCU leads with
multiple No. 3 rankings.
– Texas’ Morgan Cooper is this week’s Big 12 Champion for Life. This
season, Cooper has started eight games for the Longhorns, ranking
third in the league with a 1.79 ERA and .181 batting average.
– Through Sunday’s games, Texas is ranked second in the nation in
double plays (38) and fielding percentage (.986).
– Texas Tech’s Steven Gingery is ranked third in the nation for
victories this season (6). He is currently 6-0 on the mound with a